Practical Prince® in the NHS
This 3-day course is aimed at providing delegates with an opportunity to consider how they can use the PRINCE2® methodology in a practical way within the NHS.
In the PRINCE2® manual it says “the PRINCE2® principles provide a framework of good practice; it is the adoption of these principles that characterises whether a project is using PRINCE2® to contribute to success”.
This course will enable delegates to understand the 7 principles of the PRINCE2® methodology and how to apply them within the life of a project to help them achieve success.
Based on NHS specific case studies, delegates will do practical exercises for each principle followed by review and reflection on how to apply the learning to their real working environment.
Opportunities will be given to discuss the possible difficulties of applying these principles in the NHS working environment. In addition, delegates will be introduced to the use of facilitated workshops in defining key project information.
There will be no examinations with this course. It is suitable both for those who have passed PRINCE2® exams and those who have not.
- To understand the key principles of the PRINCE2® project management method
- To provide an opportunity to ask questions about the use or implementation of PRINCE2®
- To provide the opportunity to experience practical application of the method via a case study with exercises
Review of PRINCE2®
A quick review of the key aspects of the PRINCE2® methodology
PRINCE2® Principles in practice:
Continued business justification
- Business Case – what is it, why do we need it, what does it look like?
- Risk management – how to carry out the risk management procedure, using risk workshops
Learn from experience
- How to capture and apply lessons learned
- Carry out a lessons learned session at the end of each day
Defining roles and responsibilities
- Review of the PRINCE2® Organization Structure
- How to choose appropriate people for the roles
Manage by exception
- How to use tolerances to ensure control at all levels
Manage by stages
- How to define stages
- How stages help to monitor and control
Focus on products
- Product Based Planning, review and practise
- How do we turn a Product Flow Diagram into a plan of activities?
- Quality management – use of Product Descriptions and Quality Control
Tailor PRINCE2® to suit the project environment
- How and when to tailor
Practical PID development:
Using Project Definition Workshops to define PID content