Essential Tools for Managers - ILM Development Programme
Duration 2 days (12 Guided Learning Hours)
Team Leaders, Supervisors and First Line Managers are the critical foundation for the successful operation of most organisations; this programme has been designed to give them the skills to manage the performance of themselves and others.
The programe will clarify the responsibilities of the role of a manager and leader and successful techniques for building and motivating a team will be introduced. Delegates will learn styles of management and when and how to use them and structures for delegating and correcting employee performance will be identified and practiced.
The programme will review critical communication skills and discuss their application in daily management tasks.
Motivation techniques and setting objectives for performance monitoring and evaluation will be reviewed.
This interactive and practical programme will include case studies, exercises and discussions about the daily supervisory challenges of the delegates.
- Examine SMART objectives as vital for successful achievement of any objectives
- Explore the importance of empowering teams to make decisions
- Explain how empowerment is important for motivation and engagement
- Assess the differences between leadership and management
- Discuss how leadership aids motivation and engagement of teams
- Decide on the plan of action for participants own teams to improve performance
- Develop matrix of important vs. urgent issues pending
- Assess the importance of Performance Management and the Performance Management process
- Understand how to effectively prepare and conduct appraisals
- Consider the techniques for dealing with poor performance, giving feedback and dealing with conflict
- Evaluate delegation techniques – how to delegate, when to delegate and what to delegate
- Apply motivation theories to actual situations
- Examine the barriers to communication and effective communication techniques
- Write individual action plans to provide a reminder when implementing what has been learned to their role as a manager, team leader or supervisor
- Leadership vs Management
- Your role in the organisation
- Managing up and down
- Leadership styles and when to use them
- Building a world beating team
- What motivates you and your staff
Personal Skills for Successful Supervisors
- Learning through listening
- The power of questions
- Effective meetings
- Barriers to communication
- Solving problems and making decisions
- Organising time
The Daily Tasks
- Delegating effectively
- Positively correcting performance
- Handling discipline when necessary
- Setting objectives and performance management
- Interviewing and Selecting Staff
- Personal Action Planning for Self Development
*ILM Development Programme
All participants on ILM Development programme benefit from free support, information, networking and advice with ILM studying membership for the during of the programme or a minimum of six months. On completion of the course, they receive a certificate from ILM, recognising and celebrating their learning and achievement.
ILM recognition adds value to management training programmes, and showcases the calibre of staff development within your organisation. Customers and stakeholders can see at a glance that your managers are developed to ILM’s benchmark, validating your investment in talent.