Challenging Conversations in the Workplace
Duration 1 day
A high impact programme which will help delegates recognise the importance of clear and honest communication and how if done correctly is a major step to improving performance, whether at an individual, team, management, leadership or organisational level.
The participative course aims to develop the skills and approaches of your management team to build confidence and aptitude when addressing challenging conversations.
The course focuses particularly on conducting conversations with members of staff to develop skills to enable them to actively manage performance issues as well as managing tasks and workplace requirements. Difficult or uncomfortable conversations, if conducted correctly at a relatively early stage, can avoid the escalation to more serious issues.
The programme will provide delegates with the practical tools and techniques to utilise immediately when they return to the workplace.
On completion of this course delegates will be able to:
- Understand how to defuse difficult situations and adjust their own management behaviour and communication style to get results
- Plan and prepare for challenging conversations in the workplace
- Improve working relationships with colleagues, those they report to and those who report to them
- Resolve the barriers to conducting uncomfortable or difficult conversations
- Give feedback in a positive way to improve performance
- What are honest conversations?
- Building rapport and trust
- Handling difficult employee conversations
- Giving constructive feedback
- Giving criticism
- Defining situations where correcting performance conversations are appropriate
- Focusing on outcomes
- Providing Support
- Upward Feedback